Milo's 6th birthday was coming up, and Boston decided her HAD to build her a dollhouse with Poppy. He sketched out "plans" and decided it had to have a balcony and double doors just like the movie. But, like anything in our family, what starts out as a small project, quickly turns into a bigger, more elaborate plan. We still knocked this castle out in a day and I love how everyone got involved to make her such a special heirloom piece. We put the whole thing on gliders so it can easily slide into the toy closet when it's not being played with.
Here's how we did it:
First Boston (age 6) sketched out his plans, then I made mine and kept checking with him to be sure we were on the same page. I made a life-size "pattern" of what we wanted on butcher paper to use as a template. I loved this because as long as the sides were the same height, the floors the same width, I really had free reign to design it however we wanted. I love making things ourselves. You always end up with exactly what you wanted.
I didn't draft the roof, upper level, or floor since they would just be rectangles we could easily do on the table saw, but you can see my measurements I jotted down for them on the side draft.
We actually used scrap wood from Poppy's other projects to make this entire thing. I traced our paper pattern with a sharpie onto the pieces we'd be using and wecut out the basic shape with the table saw.
Then used a bit to make large holes in all the windows. We made this castle with 12 windows........... that was tedious.
Then Poppy cut out each window with a jig saw and me and Boston sanded them.
We also sanded the "peaks" at the tops of both the front and sides.
To make the french doors, we cut the scrap door pieces of wood in half, sanded them, and added 4 hinges.
Next, we used wood glue and small wood staples to start putting it together. We began with the front and sides, then added the bottom, then the inside levels.
All done! Boston was so proud.
Then, Jon got home from a long day at work and decided to unwind by painting it. We even added snow to the windowsils and snowflakes to the doors, inside floors, and sides.